You’re an addict. You really are. As members of the human race, we naturally aspire to be happy, joyful, excited, buzzed, elated, and “out-of-this-world-blissed out!” We love our “feel good” brain chemicals. Who wouldn’t really? Whether we realize it or not, we all strive to attain just the right balance of dopamine, serotonin, cortisol, growth hormone, essential fats, insulin, and other naturally occurring “bio”chemicals in our bodies. Fitness lovers, myself included, love the high that comes along with a great workout, right? I know I do. At the end of a particularly stressful day, the “pre-workout” Laura looks very different before doing forty-five minutes of cardio and thirty minutes of free weights. I am all smiles … and naturally high.
The hunger to feel good has a flip side. Hence addiction is a huge problem for many in our society. I should know. My genetic heritage is laden with those who have struggled with alcoholism and prescription drug abuse. My Grandpa Len died from it. He was such a great guy, too, and I adored him. It’s too bad he died at age 57. I still miss him to this day. Want to skip the bad stuff and just get high naturally? Here are 6 ways to do just that:
1. Workout. Move. Do something that involves physical activity. I enjoy fitness walks and hopping on my spin bike. And I adore the gym and try to get there at least three to four times per week. What do you love?
2. Gossip. I had no idea, but it’s true. Gossiping, according to researchers, is much like grooming among primates and helps humans bond. And elevates endorphins too. I am not a fan of “mean gossip” and recommend being kind when you do gossip.
3. Eat Chocolate. Why? If you are a chocolate lover, you have a hunch. When you eat chocolate, the simple consumption of the luscious, rich treat causes the release of phenylethylamine in the brain: the same chemical released when you fall in love.
4. Get Stuck…with Acupuncture Needles. If you haven’t tried it, you should. I love it. My acupuncturist has been treating me for years. I must say, the endorphin high is simply lovely. Researchers have proven acupuncture treatments significantly improve moods.
5. Have Sex. Post orgasm, natural pain killers are released. No wonder you feel “oh so good” afterward.
6. Laugh, Giggle, Chortle, or Guffaw. And do it a lot. I love to laugh, smile, and make others laugh. Have you laughed lately? If not, rent a funny flick. Call a friend that makes you laugh. Listen to a stand-up comic that makes you laugh. Laughing is one of the easiest ways to elevate your mood.
Do you have an all-natural endorphin-releasing habit not listed here? Leave a comment and share your unique approach to getting high naturally.